Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Blog 8: A Familiar Stranger

It's luau week at Pacific University and all the members of Nā Haumāna O Hawai‘i are gathered in the Stoller Center gymnasium for rehearsal. There are a bunch of people I recognize, have seen in passing, but most I have never been formerly introduced to. They're all spread out across the plastic red bleachers, their backpacks and books and laptops strewn around them as they watch the ʻaparima and ʻōteʻa Tahitian dance performances. When the final song ends, I can almost imagine everyone present letting out a deep breath, one they had been holding since the beginning of the first run-through.

We are given a ten-minute break before we are to convene on the stage for the instructors' feedback. The freshmen sitting several feet away from me immediately strike up a conversation, while the sophomores in front of me are typing away on their MacBooks, doing homework. On my left is a familiar Japanese guy with black hair cut straight across the middle of his forehead. Rectangular, silver-framed glasses sit on top the bridge of his nose. He is dressed in a black surf brand t-shirt—the specific brand name escapes me—and a pair of board shorts. I've seen him in Gilbert before, and sometimes I run into him and his girlfriend—or whom I assume is his girlfriend—around campus. He seems goofy and friendly, definitely nice enough to not reject my attempt to interview him. I repeat that to myself in my head as I move closer toward him, scooting awkwardly across the bleacher.

"Is it okay if I ask you some questions? Sorry, it's for my writing class."

"Okay."

"I'm Kelli... What's your name?"

"My name is DreeeEEWWWWW. Oyama. Drew Oyama is my full name!"

With his enthusiastic response, I feel myself loosen up a bit as I try not to laugh. I glance at the stage where the football players are gathering to practice the haka, and then back at him.

"What dances are you doing for luau?"

"Why, I am doing kane 'auana two."

I think he's going to say more so I wait... But he doesn't. "Is that it?"

"Yes..." he says.

Nodding, I move on to my next question. "If you could be any animal, what would you be an—"

"A koala!"

I pause, surprised at his immediate response. His girlfriend, who is sitting near us, laughs. Drew joins in with her and I can't help but smile.

"What do you have planned for after-luau festivities?"

"Oh gosh, I don't know. Hey Alyssa, what are we gonna do after luau?" he calls out to his girlfriend over the loud conversations around us.

"Go eat dinner!" she says happily.

He turns back to me. "Go eat dinner. Asian food! With her family." And he points at Alyssa.

"Alright, so 420 is coming up. What are you doing for 420?"

"I am actually playing in a frisbee scrimmage. Funny story."

"What about in the evening?"

"I'll be watching Numbers on Saturday evening."

"On 420? You're gonna watch Numbers on 420?"

"Yep."

2 comments:

  1. I have a class with Drew and just yesterday he was talking about studying abroad in Australia and how all he wanted to do was see koalas! So I guess it makes sense he would want to be one. I like the dialogue and how you break it up with little details, like nodding, interrupting, laughter, etc. I think you did a good job setting the scene of luau rehearsal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of people, including myself, probably don't know Drew, but you seem to have captured his personality with words. The way he interacts with his girlfriend, how he answers your question about the animal so quickly. You wrote it in such a way that brings this all to life. Good job.

    ReplyDelete